Monday, August 25, 2008

Nicknames

I was thinking earlier today and I can't remember the last time somebody actually called me by my name. I mean my given name. I wonder if we are all like that to an extent.

Growing up our parents call us nicknames...pumpkin, sport, tiger, champ, etc. If not a nickname like that they may call you by a shortened version of your given name...Robert - Rob, Jonathan - Jon, Michael - Mike, etc. Heck, I even have nicknames for my dogs Jake and Pete ;-) Jake is "liebechen" and Pete is "frog" (a story for another day!)

Within the Internet world most (well, many!) of us have an Internet name...mine is Wiley. When I signed up at a lampwork forum for the first time I wanted a new 'alias'; something new and a little more original than my initials. I'm a big fan of Wile E Coyote so...Wiley sounded good!

So, now I am known as Wiley in the lampwork/jewelry world and just like any where else one ends up with a nickname. My favorite is Dragon and of course there are variations on that...Dragoness, Dragonette, etc.

At home, I have lots of nicknames too! My favorite is Smithers! Yet another story for another day. But isn't it funny? No matter where you go, you end up with a nickname.

What's yours?

4 comments:

  1. Can't miss mine - I use it everywhere! I shorten my real name to Mel quite often. That's a carryover from the good ol' days waiting tables at Big Boy. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yours...'piglet'! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. *cute* ugh LOL
    I think I need to change this picture - LOL

    ReplyDelete